Now it is personal, do the tories hate data lovers?:
“Gordon O’Connor, the Conservative party whip who ensures MPs stay on message, said the census is “not an issue that people are going to live and die on” and that it’s mainly a big issue for the groups that want “free data” and the media who want something to write about during the summer” Montreal Gazette
- Ottawa Citizen: Liberals push for more census debate as Tories miss document deadline
- The Vancouver Sun: Harper sidesteps controversies as Tories begin party retreat
- Le Devoir: Pourquoi se priver de précieuses données?
- Toronto Star: Tories ignoring order to produce census files, Liberals say
- The Mark: No statistical gathering would allow the Conservatives to make bold decisions based solely on ideology.
- Ottawa Citizen: Where facts are the weapon of choice
- Times Colonist: Harper’s one-man rule wreaking havoc
- The Montreal Gazette: Census fracas in a sense, makes no sense, say Tories
- Bumper Sticker: I like it long!
- Toronto Star: Scrapping census will hurt Ontario’s recovery, Hoskins says
- The Mowat Centre: The Census: A Compromise and the Seeds of Long-Term Change
- Reuters: Canadian government says no to census compromise
- The Mowat Centre: Ideology, Autonomy and the Census
- Rabble.ca: Alice Klein NGOs risk all in standoff with Harper over civil society crackdown
- Huffington Post: Canada Channels Michele Bachmann
- Worthwhile Canadian Initiative: The census and libertarians, bis
- Le Devoir: Recensement: Ottawa persiste Stockwell Day s’oppose à toute sanction contre les citoyens négligents
- Globe and Mail: What’s Harper’s take on census? He won’t say just yet
- Le Devoir: Gros Mensonge
- Radio Canada: Division au sujet du recensement
- The Barrie Examiner: Census plan makes sense: MP
- CBC: Catholic Bishops
- Inside Halton: Town council wants long form census to continue
- CTV: Group launches legal attack on Tories’ census move
- Toronto Sun: What’s really in the census?
- Toronto Sun: Premiers may clash over fed stimulus cash
- The Record: Metro Vancouver wants the long form census mandatory
- CTV News: Justice minister defends Day’s unreported crimes claim
“We don’t govern on the basis of statistics,” Nicholson said. “We govern on the basis of what we hear from the public and what law enforcement agencies tell us. That has not changed in the four and a half years we’ve been in government.”
- Globe and Mail: Injunction could delay voluntary census
- Yahoo News: Census: All-out legal attack launched
- Globe and Mail: Census critics just want easy ride, Clement says Opponents of voluntary survey ‘got good, quality data and the government of Canada was the heavy,’ minister asserts
- The Star: Travers: Tories enlist imaginary enemies
- David Akin: MPs get letters: Stockwell Day’s pushback on census jumps more than 200 per cent!!
- Cnews: Former StatsCan head speaks for first time
- The Northern Harrier: The secret is out – Tories don’t use statistics and Why the Census is mandatory
- Macleans: Census compromise? Minister, opposition consider options
- BC Local News: Making census voluntary protects our rights
- CBC News: Lawsuit filed against census changes
Lots of cool videos if you search: Canada Census on youtube!
CBC Question of the Day:
And of course another song! (A la Johnny Cash)
(with sincere apologies to Johnny Cash)
I hear the census taker
He’s coming down the hall
He’s gonna ask me questions
That I won’t like at all
So I’m stuck inside this prison
No-one to post my bail
That damn form was too intrusive
So now I’m stuck in jail
It could have been San Quentin
Or maybe Alcatraz
I landed in the Don Jail
A sittin’ on my ass
Cause I skipped a census question,
Just because I could.
Then the census Mounties caught me
And locked me up for good.
Oh I hate that long form census
I’ll curse it till I die
Please Mr. Harper save me,
I promise I will try
And I’ll do my civic duty
Once every twenty-five years.
I’ll fill out that long form census,
Oh momma, dry your tears!