MPs will be debating Bill C-626 which proposes amending the Statistics Act this Friday November 7 to:
Reinstate the long-form census and expand the authority of the Chief Statistician of Canada.
It was tabled by Ted Hsu, Liberal Member of Parliament for Kingston.
Here are some resources:
- Fortunately, Evidence for Democracy has taken this on as a campaign, and the
- Save The Census folks are also keeping us up to date on this issue with their Facebook page.
- Ted Hsu also has some excellent information resources in the Bill C-626 Blog
- the Datalibre.ca blog has a number of resources, which you can search
- The Civicaccess.ca list also keeps an archives of all of its posts, and you can search find excellent resources there as well.
- OpenParliament.ca has the essentials about the Bill
- Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) – All the latest on the census long-form debacle
Some recent articles:
- G & M, Murtaza Haider – Poor census data is crippling Canada’s ability to compete
- Radio Canada – Recensement : un député libéral veut rétablir le questionnaire détaillé
- G & M, Jennifer Ditchburn – MPs to debate bill to bring back long-form census axed by Conservatives
- Le Devoir – Le questionnaire détaillé obligatoire au coeur d’un projet de loi
- G & M, Paul Jacobson – Policy making suffering in Canada without the long-form census
- G & M, David Hulchanski, Robert Murdie, Alan Walks and Larry Bourne – Canada’s voluntary census is worthless. Here’s why
- Macleans, Aaron Wherry – The little guy’s big chance in parliament
- G & M, Sam Boshra – Why Canada avoids asking about race, and why that’s a problem
- Economic Justice, 2011 NHS – Environics Analytics makes critics’ fears reaility, and why you shouldn’t buy ‘CensusPlus’
- HuffingtonPost.ca , Murtaza Haider – When Harper Killed the Census He Robbed Canadians
- Toronto Star, Carol Goar – Eye-opening research stopped in its tracks: Goar
- G & M, Dean Beeby – Internal survey blasts Feds for termination of long-form census
- Global News, Anna Mehler Paperny – Health officials starved of census data pay for local info of their own (Many other articles here)
- iPolitics, B.J. Siekierski- StatsCan funding cut due to ‘census cycle’: spokesperson
- Global News, Patrick Cain and Anna Mehler Paperny – National Household Survey: Here’s what we know about what we don’t know
- CTV News – Census change makes it hard to track poverty: N.B. premier